May 9, 2018 Assembly to introduce Hughey (therapy dog)@ 9am
May 10, 2018 Parents to pick up Cookie orders at 2:30 pm
May 15, 2018 Assembly @ 9 am (Ms. Clogg’s music classes performing)
May 17, 2018 Earthquake Drill begins at 1 pm (parent pick up starting at 1:30 pm)
May 21, 2018 Schools Closed (Victoria Day holiday)
May 22, 2018 Track&Field Mini Meet at South Surrey Athletic Park
May 28, 2018 Pro D (classes not in session)
May 31, 2018 District Track Meet at Bear Creek Park
June 1, 2018 Welcome to Kindergarten 9 am (in the gym)
June 15, 2018 Games Day
June 21, 2018 PAC BBQ (evening event)
June 26, 2018 Grade 7 Assembly 10:45 am
June 27, 2018 Year End Assembly 9 am
June 28, 2018 Early Dismissal 1:25 pm
Earthquake Drill – important info regarding pick up
Our Earthquake Drill will be on May 17th at 1 pm. Prior to the drill we will be discussing with the students why we are practising and what is going to happen.These are the steps we will carry out:
- An “alarm” will sound over the P.A. system (a series of earthquake sounds)
- Students will be directed to get under a heavy object (desk, chair, table, etc.), crouch and protect their heads. Students will be directed to stay away from windows and glass.
- Once the “rumblings” have stopped, students will count to 60, and then evacuate the building (as they do in a fire drill) and assemble on the big field.
- Teachers will take roll call of their division and then drop students off into last name groupings on the field. However, our Kindergarten students will be grouped with their siblings and will remain with the Kindergarten teachers. Students will be wearing their Emergency Contact Cards around their necks (on a lanyard)
- At this point parents/guardians will arrive at the school to pick up their children. We will have parents line up and allow them into the field to pick up their children. For those parents who are waiting in line, we will also have teachers being “runners” taking down names and bringing children to the designated adult. Since children are organized into last name groupings, a parent has to go to one section to collect his/her children. The adult(s) in charge of the children will ask the adult to identify him/herself and then the check to see if the adult is listed on the child’s Emergency Contact card. The parent takes his/her child and hands the lanyard to the adult in charge.
Please understand that this is our first Earthquake Drill (done this way) in years. That means we need to be patient. We are aware that in a real earthquake there are many factors and our plan may have to drastically change. The purpose of the drill is to have our students understand the basics of :
- drop, cover, hold
- staying with an adult during an emergency (it is safe)
- where to evacuate and how to stay together in a group
- to follow teacher directions until an adult picks them up.
Please arrange to have yourself (parent/guardian) or one of the adults on your child’s Emergency Contact Card be able to come and pick up your child(ren) between 1:30 – 2:25 pm. Just as in an emergency, teachers will remain with your child(ren) for as long as necessary.
If no one has come to pick your child by 2:45 pm, we will then call the parent/guardian first, and if we are unable to get a hold of the parent, we then go down the Emergency Card Contact list for pick up.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Ms. Chohan.